I get quite a lot of questions from people about whether I get lonely seeing as I live in a studio? I guess at points I do, but that’s not because I’m missing living with people it’s just a bit of a blip where I’m wanting some home comforts, TLC or beard rubs. In actual fact however, I think those who are closest to me can actually see that I am much happier living alone this year than with flat mates. It’s not because I like to be alone and in isolation, far from the truth, I guess I just don’t mind my own company.
Instead of sharing my studio with people, I share it with the stuffed kind and the pretty hard to kill kind.
Maybe it’s sad to still have cuddly toys in your twenties? and maybe students are not meant to have orchids and aptly named plants but I do!
I love my little buddies that I share my humble abode with. They are all special. On a serious note all joking aside the benefits of living alone without flatmates are pretty darn good. Here are some of the reasons why:
- It’s your mess, no one else’s mess which means you are responsible for cleaning and tidying your own mess and not everyone else’s.
- The shower no longer blocks! I’m not a girl with a lot of hair and I can now safely say that it was not my hair last year that was causing the shower to overflow and cleaning other peoples hair in order to shower was NOT cool.
- There are always clean dishes, it’s only me, if I fail to wash my dishes I only have myself to blame.
- No one eats your food, you don’t have to determine who is the serial milk borrower or who ate your pack of burgers anymore.
- I don’t get woken up from flatmates stumbling in after a night out- result! It’s so quiet here which means I sleep really well!
- No charge for broken items that you didn’t break- it’s great, I’m super careful and treat things with respect. No problems here.
- Toilet paper is no longer rationed. Last year toilet paper was sacred. Toilet paper was like gold dust. Now, I can use my spiced/christmas scented toilet paper without keeping it locked away in my room… result!
- If you don’t want to talk to anyone, you don’t have to, you get to be selfish because the plants won’t back chat you and the gang just know better than talking to you when you are tired and it’s that time of the month.
- I have so much more space! It is amazing how minimal my apartment looks in comparison to last year (I’ve leave a photo)
- Will’s coming to stay bag no longer takes up the entire room… result
- I no longer share my abode with unwanted friends like horrible silverfish, spiders and a range of creepy crawlies.
- I’m no longer on the ground floor and I love it.
- I now have room for a coat rack… those who know me well should know how much this means to me.
- The sound proofing here is amazing in comparison to last year, do not have to put up with the neighbours awful R&B at stupid o’clock.
- The TV license belongs to me and only me. I chose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it.
- When Will comes to stay it’s a private affair and it’s so so so much better here because we can both work comfortably.
- I can finally have a coffee machine because I know it’s only me using it!
- I can have private chats on the phone without fearing whether XY or Z can hear what I’m saying.
All in all… it’s not that bad! I think particularly in third year it’s quite a viable option! I would say I get a lot of work done without being distracted too often! If any of you are thinking about going solo (student wise) and studio flat living… I’d highly recommend it!
Until next time chicas ❤