Afternoon my loves!
I thought seeing as it was the new year I’d bring a whole new series into the mix…
Meals/cakes in a mug!
I am currently a final year law student and to be quite honest with you I simply do not have the time to cook in between all my deadlines and commitments! So the plan is to make meals in a mug for the remaining weeks I have left of university! I’m in Bristol currently and I thought I’d try my first mug recipe! I thought I’d ease myself in gently with a cake. A blueberry muffin to be exact! I’m going to rate these honestly and I think I might prefer something chocolatey as I find the batter is similar to the texture of a Yorkshire pud! Anyway lets crack on!
- Two tablespoons soft butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon demerara sugar
Step by step
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 20/30s
- Add sugar, flour, egg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, milk and salt and whisk with a fork till smooth.
- Add half of the blueberries and stir, top with remaining berries.
- Cook in microwave for 2 mins (800w)
- Dust demerara sugar over the top and add optional blueberries and white chocolate chips.
I mean it was fairly ok! It was far from being dry and was extremely moist especially with the blueberries! The batter however in my opinion seemed a tad too similar to a Yorkshire pud or the consistency of a souffle. The batter most definitely rises and I am yet to find the perfect sized mug! I think my mug was a tad too big as the mixture was well below the rim of the mug, so I transferred the cake into a bowl and added a few more bluberries! I think it would be rather nice with some quality vanilla ice-cream. I mean it would most definitely satisfy any sweet craving and can be put together in less than 10 minutes which makes it an easy bake! This recipe also does not require a lot of ingredients and most of the things needed are typically found within the home!
3 out of 5
Well there we have it! The first in a series!
Love C xxx